Monday, June 11, 2012

Whirly Twirly

This past Friday, Bradford and I went to the Orem city carnival with our friends, Justin and Heather. The city park (the very park where Bradford and I had our first date over 5 1/2 years ago) was transformed with food vendors, booths selling their many wares, mini-concerts, and temporary carnival rides. All the things you’d expect to find at a carnival (though no clowns sighted, thank the lovely heavens).

After chowing down on some delicious roasted corn on the cob, teriyaki chicken, burgers, navajo tacos, and funnel cake, we decided to take our newly full tummies on some of the rides. In hindsight, that could have been disastrous. And very unpleasant. Luckily for us, and everyone else, we kept dinner down. (Sidenote- does anyone else get a teensy bit nervous about hopping onto a collapsible, transportable, ride that flips and spins every which way?)

First up was the ferris wheel. I had never been on a ferris wheel and I must say it was an enjoyable experience. Even despite the fact that Bradford thought it was fun to tip the car and nearly dump us out. Though it was mostly only scary because I was trying to also take pictures, meaning I didn’t have free hands to hold on to anything. Once I stowed the camera away (realizing he most likely wouldn’t stop) it was more exhilarating than terrifying. However, I found that my trust in him to not kill me has slightly diminished after that experience.

CIMG2772 CIMG2776 CIMG2789 CIMG2792 CIMG2793 IMAG0345

After that, the three of us watched and waited as Justin took a turn on the swings.

Next, we headed over to the Zipper. Apparently this was the ride to ride because everyone and their grandpa was in this line. Maybe not grandpas actually, since I think we were some of the oldest people in line... I guess city carnivals make a good Friday night hangout for the local middle/high schoolers.

After about an hour of waiting, with very little hope of the line getting any smaller any time soon (plus we thought everything was going to shut down before we could get on it anyway), we hopped over to the ride next to us that had no line at all and rode that instead. The Gravitron it was. You know those things that you stand against the wall and it spins really fast and you can’t move because the centrifugal force is keeping you in place? I was surprised at everyone turning themselves upside down and every which way on the wall, I could barely move my arms let alone my entire self. Also, Heather, being a responsible future mother, sat out for that ride. Sorry we abandoned you Heather, next time you’ll be right there with us!

CIMG2791 IMAG0346 CIMG2796 IMAG0354 (1)   

Thanks Justin and Heather for a fun night!

P.S. Saturday night we had a Birthday party. For me. It was 1920s themed. I don’t have any pictures yet, but stay tuned!

2 comments:

Bradford said...

I can't think back on that night without feeling nauseous. It was fun though. Until the next day.

Alison said...

I didn't know you were updating your blog again! I've missed out on quite a few posts! I love the gravitron, but I don't know if I would like it as much as I did when I was younger.

p.s. Happy Birthday!