Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Friendship is Unnecessary

Sunday night I got a phone call from a good friend. A friend I've known for almost a decade. Despite our distance in logistics, and the fact that we only talk about every other month (at best) for an hour or two at a time, I consider him one of my absolute best friends.

As we were talking, I had an overwhelming sense of gratitude. It was such a refreshing conversation, it all felt so natural. What's more wonderful than the ease in which we fell into discussion was the undeniable connection I felt to him. I realized, from our conversation, that there are very few people in this world that I have a true soul-to-soul connection with and I am so grateful for those few souls.

One of my favorite quotes is from Robert E. Lee and says, "Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person; having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but to pour them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, knowing that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away." I particularly like this quote because I've always struggled with opening up and showing my true colors to any and all who meet me. When I do it usually comes out in a muddle, imperfect and somewhat discombobulated, not expressed as purely as I feel it. Its something I've long wished to conquer but unfortunately have done little to actively overcome. The handful of people throughout my life that have somehow found a way to break through are some of my most cherished treasures. I attribute it mostly to their pure sense of self and large hearts.

I'm so lucky to have them, though few, in my life. They are the ones I can be just as confidant as ever around even if its been years since we last saw each other or spoke. Its hard to describe the ease and comfort I feel around them, its something I rarely have with most people. I often feel guarded and unsure about what is expected or how to act and since that is more often than not the case I appreciate these soul mates all the more.

It is amazing to love and be loved completely.


------


"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival." - C.S. Lewis

2 comments:

Taffers Dawn said...

I love having friends! It's awesome to meet people and how some people just stay with you. One of the best parts of life.

Kimberly said...

Mmmm...I love this. It is delicious to my soul!