Monday, August 18, 2008

Pulling Out the Spit Shine

Following in line with my new goal of trying to do more of the things I love as well as shining up some of those left-to-rust talents I know are lying around somewhere, I have rediscovered my love for making cards. I'm not much of a scrapbooker, mostly because it would take me forever to catch up to my current life in photos (maybe I'll start that up again when I have a family of my own...), so I have instead found that making birthday cards and thank you cards and a card for any reason at all really has been something I thoroughly enjoy and I've done a few that I'm pretty pleased with. I wish I had taken pictures of them all but I didn't think to start taking pictures of them until a couple months ago. Anyway, here are a few of the most recent ones I've done:

This is one I made for my sister's graduation.

This one was my Dad's Father's Day card.



This was a card I made to go with a baby present for a friend. (Its also probably my favorite. It took a long time to make but I had a lot of fun with it and it turned out pretty cute.)


This is the card I made Aimee for her college graduation.


This I made for my grandparents in California.



And this is my niece's birthday card. (Shh... don't tell Michelle... I haven't sent it off yet.)


They, aren't the best pictures in the world, but they give a taste of what I've been making. I like to have the pictures of the cards I've made so that I can see that I really can make a decent card (if I'm stumped or feeling discouraged on a particular card design), and also I can see progress I've made or reuse ideas if I'm feeling lazy :). Its really fun and surprisingly therapeutic. Some of them definitely are better than others but they have all been fun to create. I don't have a lot of tools, mostly just paper and scissors and a few add ons like ribbon and buttons, but the more I make the more I notice the things I'd like to get. Its kind of nice because when I started I didn't spend tons of money on tools and supplies that I'll never use but also sometimes frustrating because I can only do so much with the resources I have now and it takes a while to cut out letters and flowers and things. I'm going to keep a list though of the things I'd like to get and then slowly add on to my supplies.

Now... who's got a birthday coming up?

4 comments:

Taffers Dawn said...

We could pretend I have a birthday coming up!!! Haha. I am so awed by your cards. I do one and I'm all proud of myself but then i remember yours....yesh you are just way too good. Love the baby one!!

Jaclyn said...

Mine is in November! ;)

Anonymous said...

Julie, your talents amaze me. Not that I, honestly, had any doubts about your card-making capabilities. I digress, your cards are simply wonderful. I also think it's great for you to be able to work on such tasks, helping you use your creativity.

Kimberly said...

The spit shine eh? That is a new title from earlier today. Plus, it makes me think of our good friend "Er--nie!" You are amazing...I got to see the cards in person and they are b-e-a-u-tiful! I wish I had the time and resources to do crafty things right now. My life is still up in arms, so I guess I'll never have time again. BTW, I do have internet now...sort of. Hope you had a good day! :) Love you :)